For many, riding a bike is the best way to get around town. The freedom, convenience and low-impact exercise that comes with an e-bike conversion kit has been known to be one of the best ways to commute. In this article we’ll discuss what you need for an e-bike conversion kit system, what it’s like to ride a bike all year round in any weather and how an e-bike conversion kit system can change your life.
Benefits of an e-bike conversion kit
Electric bike conversion kits can provide a number of benefits for cyclists, including:
- Increased speed and power: electric bike conversion kits can give you a boost of speed and power, making it easier to get up hills or ride into the wind.
- extended range: electric bike conversion kits can help you go further on a single charge, extending your range by up to 50%.
- reduced effort: with an electric bike conversion kit, you can say goodbye to sweaty rides and enjoy a more relaxed experience while still getting all the benefits of cycling.
- environmentally friendly: electric bikes are powered by electricity, which is much cleaner for the environment than gas-powered vehicles.
- cost effective: electric bikes are cheaper to operate than gas-powered vehicles, and the initial investment in an electric bike conversion kit can be quickly offset by the savings in fuel costs.
Planning your conversion kit
When it comes to electric bike conversion kits, there are a few things you need to take into account before making your purchase. Here is a quick guide to help you plan your conversion kit system:
1. Determine the type of electric bike conversion kit that best suits your needs. There are three main types of conversion kits available on the market: hub-based, mid-drive, and friction-drive.
2. Choose the right motor for your kit. The motor is the heart of the electric bike conversion kit, so it is important to choose one that is powerful enough to give you the riding experience you desire.
3. Decide on the battery type and capacity that you want. Batteries come in two main types: lead-acid and lithium-ion. Lead-acid batteries are cheaper but have shorter life spans, while lithium-ion batteries are more expensive but can last longer. You will also need to decide on the capacity of the battery, which is typically measured in watt hours (Wh).
4. Select the proper tires for your electric bike conversion kit. Tires play a big role in how your converted e-bike will perform, so be sure to choose ones that are compatible with the rest of your kit and provide good traction on the road or trails.
5. Choose appropriate accessories for your e-bike conversion kit system. Accessories can include items such as throttle controllers, speedometers, odometers, and headlight
Types of e-bike Conversion Kits
There are a few different types of e-bike conversion kits available on the market. Each type has its own set of pros and cons, so it’s important to know which one will best suit your needs before making a purchase.
The most popular type of e-bike conversion kit is the mid-drive system. Mid-drive kits are installed in the middle of the bike frame, between the pedals and the rear wheel. This makes them incredibly easy to install and gives you a wide range of gears to work with, making them ideal for climbing hills. However, they can be more expensive than other types of kits and can be heavier too.
Another popular type of e-bike conversion kit is the hub motor system. Hub motors are installed in the front or rear wheel hubs and provide power directly to the wheels. This makes them very easy to install but can limit your top speed and make it harder to pedal up hills. They’re also not as efficient as mid-drive systems, so you’ll need to recharge more often.
Finally, there are also direct drive systems, which are similar to hub motors but are mounted directly onto the frame rather than in the wheel hubs. These are typically lighter and more efficient than hub motors but can be more difficult to install.
Bafang Conversion Kit
Bafang manufactures electric bike conversion kits that allow you to convert your regular bike into an electric bike. The kits include a motor, battery, controller and throttle. You can use a Bafang conversion kit on any type of bike, including mountain bikes, road bikes and cruisers. The motor is powered by a 48V battery and has a maximum speed of 50 km/h. The Bafang BBS01 & BBS02 conversion kits are easy to install and come with everything you need to get started.
How to Install a Conversion Kit
Assuming you have a basic understanding of bike mechanics, installing an e-bike conversion kit is relatively straightforward. Here are the basics of what you need to do:
1. Remove the wheels from your bike.
2. Attach the motor to the frame of your bike.
3. Install the battery onto the frame of your bike.
4. Attach the throttle to the handlebars of your bike.
5. Install the brake levers onto your handlebars.
6. Reattach the wheels to your bike.
7. Turn on the power to your motor and battery.
8. Start pedaling!
E-bike conversion kits offer a great way to get the benefits of an electric bike without having to buy a new one. These kits can be used on almost any bike, and they’re relatively easy to install. If you’re thinking about getting an e-bike, a conversion kit is definitely worth considering.